Exmouth RNLI to host ceremony to name and dedicate their new inshore lifeboat George Bearman II
Event: Exmouth RNLI naming ceremony and dedication of D class lifeboat George Bearman II
Venue: Exmouth lifeboat station, Queens Drive, Exmouth EX8 2AY
Date/time: Saturday 20 May, 2pm
The volunteer team at Exmouth RNLI lifeboat station will be holding a formal naming ceremony and service of dedication for their new D class lifeboat George Bearman II on Saturday 20 May.
The dedication and the naming of George Bearman II will take place at 2pm, four months after her arrival at the south Devon lifeboat station. Over this time, the new D class lifeboat has launched 24 times and assisted 14 people in difficulty.
Pauline Smith will formally hand over the second inshore lifeboat she has funded for Exmouth lifeboat station to representatives of the Institution. Pauline wished for a lifeboat to be named after her Grandfather, one of five Coastguards who lost their lives at sea on service off Wells-next-the-sea, Norfolk on 22 February 1898. In total, 11 men lost their lives in treacherous conditions attempting to reach the HMS Alarm, a torpedo gun boat. George Bearman was 38 years old. After the 10 years’ service the original George Bearman inshore lifeboat served, Pauline was eager to fund a second to continue saving lives at sea in Lyme Bay.
Pauline said: ‘Naming a lifeboat in memory of my Grandfather is my personal tribute to a life lost bravely but so needlessly.’
Exmouth Lifeboat Operations Manager, Kevin Riley MBE says:
‘We’d love to see as many of our supporters at the ceremony. Regrettably, due to lack of space, the ceremony is invitation only but there should be plenty of standing room on the esplanade or beach for any members of the public who would like to watch the ceremony.’
The event will start at 2pm and run through a set order as follows:
- Exmouth Town Crier announces the Ceremony
- National Anthem – Exmouth Town Concert Band
- Darryl Nicholas, Chairman of the Lifeboat Management Group, welcomes guests and opens the proceedings.
- Pauline Smith hands over the lifeboat to the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.
- Martin Gregory RNLI Council Governor, accepts the lifeboat on behalf of the RNLI and hands it into the care of the lifeboat station.
- Kevin Riley MBE, Lifeboat Operations Manager, accepts the boat on behalf of the station.
- The Reverend Benedict Cambridge leads the Service of Dedication.
- Pauline Smith officially names the lifeboat D-805 George Bearman II.
- Charlie Allen, Crew volunteer offers a Vote of Thanks to the donor and local community.
- Nigel Jones, Area Lifesaving Manager, gives a Vote of Thanks and closes the proceedings.
- Exmouth Lifeboat Crew Volunteers launch George Bearman II, weather and operations permitting.
Notes to editors
- You, or a representative, are invited to attend the naming ceremony on Saturday 20 May. Please contact Emma Tarling (Press@exmouthlifeboat.org.uk) or Carrie Garrad (Carrie_Garrad@rnli.org.uk) to let them know you’ll be attending.
- Photos and press release will be available after the event.
- There is no parking available at the station. Please use the pay and display car park at Foxholes and continue to the station on foot.