Articles Exmouth Lifeboat assists jet skier in difficulty

Exmouth Lifeboat assists jet skier in difficulty

Exmouth Lifeboat assists jet skier in difficulty

At 14:50 hrs today, Friday 17 July 2020 Exmouth RNLI’s temporary Inshore Lifeboat D-755 Peggy D was requested to launch by H.M. Coastguard following a report of a jet skier in difficulty off Red Rock, Dawlish Warren.

The lifeboat was launched a few moments later by RNLI volunteer shore crew, Karl Halford, Ed Steele and Doug Wright. It was manned by crew members, Harry Griffin (Helm), Steve Hockings-Thompson and Andy Stott. With the assistance of Exmouth NCI, who had visual contact with the jet ski, the lifeboat was quickly on scene with the casualty vessel at 15:06hrs. It was established that the jet ski had stalled and the vessel was taking on water.

                                          Exmouth Inshore Lifeboat ‘Peggy D’ launches to the rescue

The lifeboat established a tow with the jet ski and it was taken to a point off Holcombe where the vessel and its sole occupant were handed over to Teignmouth RNLI ‘B’ Class B-809 The Two Annes  and towed to safety. No damage was caused to the jet ski and no injuries to its rider.

Lifeboat Helm, Harry Griffin said, “This was an unfortunate incident where the rider of the jet ski had adhered to all the recommended safety precautions – he was attached to a ‘kill cord’ on the vessel, wearing a lifejacket and had other safety equipment including adequate communications but the jet ski, that had recently been serviced, suffered a technical failure that resulted in the breakdown. Fortunately, with the help of our colleagues in Exmouth National Coastwatch, we were able to pinpoint the casualty location and arrive on scene very quickly. I’m pleased the outcome was successful and would like to thank our RNLI colleagues at Teignmouth for their swift response in this joint operation.”


                                 Route taken by Exmouth RNLI Inshore Lifeboat   Courtesy : Marine Traffic

On completion of the assignment the lifeboat made its way back to Exmouth Lifeboat Station where it was back ready for service by 16:30hrs.


/* ]]> */
Verified by MonsterInsights